Sometimes education is necessary for the parents, who can then educate their children.
The Canadian Centre for Child Protection strongly suggests that parents consider the following when trusting their child with a personal mobile device:
- Having conversations about the risks associated to complying with requests from other users and communicating with other users online whom the youth does not know offline;
- Reviewing and utilizing any apps prior to allowing their child to download it on their personal device;
- Ensuring that any apps being used by their child is age-appropriate;
- Reinforcing and encouraging their child to bring forward any concerns that they encounter;
- Stressing that they are always there to help their child through any difficult situation they may encounter both online and offline.
For more information on the risks youth face when utilizing live streaming applications, please see our brochure titled Keeping Teens Safe from Online Sexual Exploitation online and safety sheets on the topics of apps and online extortion.