Friday, March 27, 2015

Tools to fight homophobia and stereotypes: acceptance and understanding

I LOVE THIS IDEA.
Created by the Canadian Centre for Gender & Sexual Diversity
I retired in 2006, yet I recall many times contradicting students who would use 'gay' as a derogatory term. I would counter with, "I know people who are gay. What's the big deal?"

I would stop all activities, and deal with the statement in question. Apparently, this morphed into using 'gay' as a comment meant to indicate that something was pretty. How many other words could one use?

Sometimes it would be one of MY peers, a male phys. ed. teacher or a coach who revealed their own biases.  'He throws like a girl', and all the other remarks meant to hurt and demonstrate a bully's superiority. My daughter, age 35, heard this in her physical education class in high school. I was furious. I talked to her teacher. Truthfully, if no one teaches us better we will not improve our attitudes or our skills. For all these things we can blame a teacher.
If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

We've learned so much more about gender and sexual diversity. We've learned about accepting differences in race, religion, families, culture, traditions and values. Each one of us in important. Early in my career, I had to deal with those who were biased against we single-parent families. That became much more common.
Next, we had to manage children with special needs, and create an inclusive classroom. My students would always step up.
Then, we had to deal with step-families, kids in foster care, kids who felt they were unique and different and unacceptable. I never stopped having to teach my classroom community to be inclusive.
Kids who live in same-sex parental units have been the next issue. Finally, kids whose gender identity has upset peers, and teachers, have been speaking out and demanding they be treated with dignity. I am happy to see that society is beginning to understand and accept. Beginning to, but we aren't there yet.

Click here to donate, download educational kits, and learn more...
Click here

 

Activities and Online Lesson Plans

 The Heterosexual Questionnaire

A Lesson Plan from Creating Safe Space for GLBTQ Youth: A Toolkit by Advocates For Youth  Gender Neutral Day by Teaching Tolerance (A Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center)

 Family, Life, and Sexual Health by the Seattle and King County Public Health Department

 Where Iʼm From: Family, Community & Poetry by Welcoming Schools (PDF)

 Think Outside the Box (Gender Stereotypes grades 3 - 5)

 What Happens If (Gender Roleplays grades 3-5)

Gender Neutral Day

 Gender Expression 

 Online Lesson Plan on Art & LGBT Rights by Teaching Tolerance (A Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center)

 More Online Resources for Educators by the Pride Education Network

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...