Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Dear Ann Landers – you were right. Life isn't fair!

Another 'Dear Abby' gem!
I used these with my Creative Writing classes!
A teache roften acts a a wise and judicious parent. Also, pyschologist, social worker, and so on.
I put many posters up in my classrooms. Here are two.

10 Reasons for Swearing caused a lot of laughter.
I recall walking into the weight lifting section of the gym one year. Two young men were using the "F" word every other word, as adjective, verb and noun. I walked over and told them that I had heard that word all day in the playyard and was really sick of it. They stopped. (You have to teach people how to treat you!)
Two weeks later I walked in, same two men, and one said, "Shhh! It's the teacher!" and I had a peaceful half hour doing my workout!

The famous *Ann Landers column below...
she had wise words for all of us. This has been ripped off and attributed to various people, e.g., Bill Gates, but I saved the clipping from an ancient posting while I was teaching.

Life is Not Fair
Rule 1: Life is not fair – get used to it.
Rule 2: The real world won’t care as much about your self-esteem as your school does. 
Rule 3: Sorry, you will NOT make $40,000 a year right out of high school.
Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.
Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. It's called opportunity.


And so on...





Ann Landers was a pen name created by Chicago Sun-Times advice columnist Ruth Crowley in 1943 and taken over by Eppie Lederer in 1955.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...