Sunday, December 27, 2009

Travel to another world

I just finished watching the APTN People's Choice Awards. What a powerful message.

The tributes, expecially, to Buffy St. Marie were fabulous. Buffy is a hero, in my eyes. A mover and shaker in the Indian world, she raised the profile of her people. In the days of protests, she chose her battles, and with a Ph.D in Fine Arts, produces state of the art work.
http://www.jilks.com/portfolio/photos/iaf/story.jpgWhat a fabulous website.

I visited the website: cradleboard.org and found a ton of information I could have used back in the day.

My adult children bought me the latest Buffy St. Marie CD, Running for the Drum, and I am thrilled with it. I saw this information featured on the CD ROm. What a wonderful tribute to an incredible career. I spent many years working with students, and teaching them  native studies. It is part of the Gr. 6 Ontario Curriculum.






After a five-year stint on Sesame Street, she raised my awareness. In the world of educational children's TV, she introduced many topics on this program that had never before been dealt with. I very much enjoyed watching this show with my kids back in the good old days.
http://www.jilks.com/portfolio/photos/iaf/inuit1.jpg

My favourite field trip was to the International Aboriginal Festival in Ottawa. These are amazing opportunities to share aboriginal culture.

I urge you to explore the richness of native culture.

Their unique interactive multimedia CD SCIENCE: Through Native American Eyes is in use by teachers and students from grades 5 through college level. Manitoba school districts have a lot of resource materials. I have ordered many materials over the years, attended many a Pow Wow. But I must go back to my CD.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...