Monday, April 13, 2009

picture books and children

Product Details As an adoptive daughter, my mother bought us a book th at told the story of a family that chose a child. It was a heart warming story. It helped me feel the joy and the love as my parents welcomed me into their home. Product Details

As a school teacher I often began a lesson, with gr. 1 or gr. 8s, using a picture book that helped me set the theme for the lesson. It gathered us all together, as we hunkered down for a good read. Such stories can help young people understand issues and t opics range from bullying, having Down's Syndrome siblings, to dealing with sociological issues such as divorcProduct Detailse. As a teacher of those who fled the Gulf War books helped children understand what another goes through. My favour ite was Petronella (now out of print): the story of a child leaving Grandma overseas to come to our Canadian Prairies. These kinds of stories give c ontext and meaning to a child's situation. It lets them know they are not alone and they are not at fault.

Health issues concern the entire family. When a parent is caring for their parent time is taken away from children. I was adopted late in my parent's lives for the time, and my children were all in their twenties when my parents became ill. That said, many families are facing serious health issues that take much time and energy.
Product Details
I happened upon a book in our Huntsville bookstore: Still My Grandma. It is a lovely book, with sensitive drawings and text that helps a young child, and their parent, understand that Grandma is still Grandma.

If a loved one is in LTC, there are still many things yoStill My Grandmau can do with them. They subtly give suggestions on things children can still do with ailing family members: looking at old photos, hugs, memories, holding hands, sitting on her lap. It says that while "most times Grandma forgets my name, we still have our traditions".

I spent months feeding my dad meals. It was a poignant time, when he no longer could understand the function of forks and knives. He looked forward to my visits, I found out later, while the dementia increased and his brain cells died.

2 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

Through several other blogs, I stumbled onto yours and I'm glad I did. As a spectrum parent, I definitely plan on checking out this "Autism Acceptance Book." Thank you for posting!

Jenn Jilks said...

You are so very welcome! I want to share what I have learned over the years.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...