1) Scan difficult -to-read text, save it to his laptop, and have the computer read it back to him. [I am not sure how this impacts CanCopy rules, but that is another issue!]

2) Dictate work into the microphone and it will write the text for him. [It has to be programmed to understand his voice and his speech patterns. But the trainer tells me that the program gets better at that -with practice.]

While he and I unpacked it this a.m. my SELC gr. 7's took turns reading a story. C told them not to interrupt and the mission was accomplished. I gave them each a paragraph to read. They read just that paragraph silently, then stood when it was finished. When all were standing and ready, R began with the first paragraph. While we pre-discussed difficult words (daguerrotype- we're into photography!!), I asked them not to help each other or otherwise interrupt and decode the word until their peer NEEDED a life line. At that point the reader may call upon a peer to help. As they read and worked, J and I unpacked and hooked up and positioned and repositioned the computer on the table. Suddenly, I turned around and realized the class was silent. They were now working on the follow-up activities attached to the Reading Comprehension task. [You know how in the absence of poor behaviour you don't notice when they are being good?!]

At one point C, not know for being quiet, had to tell one student to be quiet and to take their turn -he was quite keen on it all! At another point, C told another student to get back on task. In discussion, he told another student that we cannot be jealous of J's computer, since it will help him and that is good. I promised the kids we will figure out how to integrate it into the daily work of the day. I also promised that I would explain to others how we will make this work. I am hoping that we can get Kurzweil and Dragon Naturally Speaking for all of us to us. (It is OSAPAC-funded software, free to all OCDSB schools.)

See Allan November